Pages

Friday, June 21, 2013

Drama in the Sky

On my walk at the reservoir on Wednesday morning, I watched as two male Red-Winged Blackbirds attacked a Red-Tailed Hawk, apparently in an attempt to drive him away from their nesting area.

These photos aren't great quality because the action took place at some distance. In order to bring the images in close enough to be able to see any detail, I had to do some serious cropping.

Here, one blackbird is on the back of the hawk; and the other is coming in for a landing.





The action moved out of the range of my camera as the blackbirds successfully drove the intruder from the area.





7 comments:

  1. amazing that those little birds will take on such a large and dangerous foe (and not only survive, but win!)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have to laugh when I see something like this. Those Blackbirds don't seem to realize that they could become lunch at any time.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Actually pretty good detail considering how far they were. Especially with his white belly.
    Like your previous post as well! The Amish are a fascinating culture and I would love to learn more.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Amazing how smaller creatures will defend their territory when they have to.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I think you did a wonderful job of capturing the drama in the sky. The pictures are marvelous.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wonderful action here, Linda. And I think they clarity is just fine. Any creature can be fierce when protecting their young

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great observation, Linda. It was interesting to watch through the lens of your camera what happened.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...