Pages

Wednesday, June 19, 2013

Amish Drive-Bys

Doug and I spent Sunday afternoon in our backyard, reading and enjoying the sunshine. I positioned myself with my camera, where I had a small window of photo opportunity between the house and the trees, where I was able to take photos of the Amish traffic passing by, hopefully unnoticed by them.

The backdrop wasn't the best. I need to get the neighbor across the road to take down that beautiful blue spruce tree so that my subjects can be more clearly seen. And, while I'm at it, I should see if they couldn't reposition that utility pole, too.

So much for remaining unnoticed.


I love this horse's coloring and gait.





Little boys holding their hats always make me want to reach for a camera.


I have the utmost respect for the Amish and never want to offend them, but I confess to trying for photographs whenever I think I can do it without offense.

I love horses, and living among Amish is the next best thing to having my own. I can enjoy the beauty of their animals...without any of the work involved with their care. And the Amish in our county have some of the most beautiful horses you'll find anywhere. Many of them could compete successfully in the show ring.

I hope you've enjoyed this little glimpse of Amish life.


9 comments:

  1. So enjoyable! I laughed at your disdain for some of what you felt we're distracting background elements. But I have to say the pole in the last shot is pretty cool. Makes it seem like two distinct photos. I find Amish life fascinating. Thanks for sharing these with us, giving us a little glimpse into their culture.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sometimes I think it would be a benefit to live "Plain" like the Amish do. But would I get to keep my computer? Great pics.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You got wonderful pictures. Imagine the amazing shots one could get if they were not opposed to cameras.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Gail - I hadn't noticed the effect of the pole in the last photo until you mentioned it. Wish I could say I'd planned it that way. :)

    Theresa - Thanks, I'm glad you enjoyed it.

    Stephen - I suspect a lot of the Amish in our area do have computers. Most of them now have cell phones. They're pretty creative about generating their own power.

    Ruth - Thanks kindly. I suppose it would take some of the fun out of getting occasional pictures if we were able to take them at will. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you for this Amish post. I, too, have a lot of respect for the Amish and find them most interesting. Wouo\ld love wisting in their area.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LV - I'm so glad you enjoyed the post. Thanks for the visit and the kind comment.

      Delete
  6. Wonderful photos, Linda. This is from your back yard? Wow.

    One of my favourite photos (long before digital) is one I took of my older son when he was about 18 months old - sitting in a buggy next to an older Mennonite gentleman. He had offered to have Jeffrey sit with him so we could take a photo. We gratefully accepted and while doing so a woman who was driving by, slowed her car and yelled out "They don't like to have their pictures taken.. you're being rude and insulting." The man turned to her to say that we were invited to do so and suggested that she might not be the best one to educate about what is rude and insulting.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Linda, it's easy to understand the temptation to take photos like these and try to catch the culture of Amish. I admire the effort as well as the sacrifices they make. It may not be easy for everybody to understand their rewards.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...