Pages

Wednesday, January 30, 2019

From Yellowstone to Tetons to Green River

Continuing our Last Hurrah trip out west, we left our motel in West Yellowstone the morning of October 7, 2018, bound for Green River, Wyoming, where we had lodging reservations that night. Our route took us back into Yellowstone National Park, down the west side of the lower loop, and out the south entrance and into Grand Teton National Park.

Ravens are a common sight in many of our western national parks. They're intelligent and entertaining and shameless beggars. The one in the following picture was at one of the waterfalls we stopped to visit.


It was a beautiful morning, with fresh snow on the trees lining the road.


We had a beautiful day for viewing the mountains in Grand Teton National Park, too. Often, they're hidden by clouds or haze from wildfires. But this time we could view them in all their glory.


Trees sporting their fall colors were scattered among the evergreens.

View from Oxbow Bend at Grand Teton National Park
Leaving the Grand Tetons, we drove U. S. Route 191 south to Rock Springs, then I-80 from there to Green River. The following photos were taken along the very scenic Route 191, between Jackson and Pinedale. 



The following photo is a zoomed-in version of the one above. I wanted to get a closer look at the house-sized haystack in the field. There were several of these in this area, apparently needed to help livestock survive harsh winters.


A little further down the road, we passed a field where a group of cowboys and their cattle dogs were working some cattle. By the time we'd turned around and gone back for photos, they were pretty far off the road.  So the photo isn't as good as I would have liked, but I couldn't help thinking how beautiful their workplace was.


More from our travels next time.

20 comments:

  1. Gorgeous pictures. I love seeing the snow-covered mountain tops, especially the Tetons.... The Tetons are my favorite place in that area. I love Yellowstone --but it was SO crowded when we were there in Sept.... The traffic and no room for all of the people always take some of the joy out of that area... And --there was also construction!!!! BUT--overall, it was great. Looks like you all had a fabulous trip. I still haven't shared too many of my pictures from our trip there... Need to do that.

    LOVE your photos... Thanks.
    Hugs,
    Betsy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Betsy. We love both of those places, but the crowds do make it challenging sometimes. We didn't do the entire park this time but didn't run into any construction in the areas we did visit. I know you would have loved seeing the snow there. It was just beautiful.

      Delete
  2. Those snow capped mountains are so majestic. Lovely to go back and view a few times.I was out there in 03

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. "Majestic" is the perfect word for the Tetons, Steve. We've been privileged to visit there several times ourselves. If '03 was your last visit, you're overdue. :)

      Delete
  3. I love your panorama of the Tetons -- those mountains are simply majestic. We took very much the same route when we started home from Jackson, although we did take a side trip through the Snowy Range. I'd really like to get out to Wyoming one more time, but I'm not sure we'll be able to do it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, George. It's so hard to capture the beauty of the Tetons in a single photograph. The panorama helps but still falls short of seeing the real thing. We haven't been to the Snowy Range and probably won't ever be. We really did view this trip as our "last hurrah" trip. Not sure we'll ever get out there again.

      Delete
  4. Linda your pictures of God's beautiful creation are AMAZING!!! So glad you and Doug were able fit it into your busy fall. Terry says we will head west again one day...I'm all for that!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Diane. I hope you DO get to travel west again some day. There's so much to see out there.

      Delete
  5. Gorgeous scenes. I have to wonder if folks like those cowboys ever get so used to that beauty that they may not even notice it. That would be sad, but too often we take the familiar for granted.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wondered that same thing, Ruth. It's hard not to notice that scenery. But you're right that we usually take our familiar surroundings for granted.

      Delete
  6. Those mountains are spectacular Linda and wonderful photography by you

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The Tetons are stunningly beautiful, Margaret. It's hard to take a bad picture of them. :)

      Delete
  7. These pictures from your Last Hurrah trip just get more and more breathtaking with their beauty. Thank you so much, Linda, for sharing them with us. I'm loving it!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hello Linda! I'm here from your comment link you left at Ruth's blog. Nice to meet you. I grew up in Northern Colorado...lived there for 50 years...and know well Yellowstone & the Grand Tetons (One June I was there and it snowed. Common occurrence for me but other tourists were in awe.) Oh, and Pinedale Wyoming, I know it well. Thanks for the memories...& wonderful photos.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, Anni. I love your home state of Colorado, too; although we didn't include a stop there on our October trip. The first time I traveled through Wyoming, I thought it was the most desolate place I'd ever seen. The landscape was fascinating to me, though. And, in the course of several more visits to that state over the years, I've come to appreciate its beauty and to respect and admire many of its inhabitants. We've met some great folks there. Thanks so much for your visit. It's nice to meet you, too.

      Delete
  9. Another Colorado blogger here. I saw your comment on Mersad's post this morning. Yellowstone and the Grand Teton National Parks are such magnificent places! Someday you will have to visit Rocky Mountain NP. Wait for a mid september when the aspens are in color and the elk bulls are bulging.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Pat, I'm sorry it's taken me so long to acknowledge your comment. For some reason, I never got an email notification of it. But I want to thank you for the visit. We love the west and have actually been to Rocky Mountain NP a couple of times. We've seen the aspens, and the elk were thick in downtown Estes Park. We saw more there than we did in the NP. You live in an amazingly beautiful state.

      Delete
  10. Captivating scenes... You know, Linda, sometimes I can't find relevant words to add to your photos and places. I just keep looking at them, feeling good, and that is a beautiful gift. Thank you for sharing your adventures. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Petra. I think you express your thoughts very well, and I find them encouraging.

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...