Pages

Tuesday, January 30, 2018

Amish Buggy Doing Donuts

According to the Merriam-Webster online dictionary, the following definitions can be applied to "donuts," which is the Americanized spelling of "doughnuts."
1 : a small usually ring-shaped piece of sweet fried dough
2 : something (such as a mathematical torus) that has a round shape like a doughnut
3 : a controlled skid that sends an automobile into a tight circle of at least 360 degrees —usually used in the phrase "do donuts"
The following YouTube video clip is a demonstration of the third definition, done not by a car, but by an Amish buggy.



I probably wouldn't have shared this clip here except that this occurred in the neighboring small town of Grabill. So this is one of "our" Amish.

Following is a little map of the area where I live. I thought it would give you an idea of how the communities that I sometimes talk about here are situated in relation to each other.


The tiny map in the upper left-hand corner shows the state of Indiana and how it is divided into counties. The county highlighted in red is Allen County, where Fort Wayne is the largest city. Actually, Fort Wayne is the second-largest city in the state, after the state capitol, Indianapolis.

Huntertown (northwest of Fort Wayne) is where I lived when I had the horses. Doug and I currently live in Harlan, northeast of Fort Wayne. Grabill, where the video clip was taken, is about four miles northwest of Harlan. New Haven is where our church is. 

Speaking of our church, here is a picture of it:


This photo was taken in 2013. A lot of work has been done on the church since then, so I really need to get an updated photo of it.

I hope you've enjoyed this little tour of my home area and that the Amish video clip gave you a chuckle.


17 comments:

  1. I've never seen a buggy doing donuts before!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I haven't either, George; and we've lived here almost 29 years now. Some of them are now getting air horns on their buggies. It gives you a start when an Amish buggy honks at you. ;)

      Delete
  2. Ha ----cute video, and like George said, I've never seen that before...

    I don't know much about the area where you live ---but someday, we need to visit you and that area..

    Hugs,
    Betsy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Betsy. I'd never seen it before either. We owe you some Hoosier hospitality since we've enjoyed some of yours. Would love to have you visit...but hard to find waterfalls. ;)

      Delete
  3. When I first read the title of your post I envisioned the side of the buggy cut out, hinged and dropped down to make a counter for selling donuts. Wow, was I wrong. LOL
    Nice photo of your church.
    Have a great week!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You made me smile, Toni. I had thought about titling it "Amish Donuts" with the intention of causing people to think of sweet pastries. But it didn't occur to me that someone's thoughts would still take that direction with this title. I like the way you think, though. Amish and donuts just sort of go together, don't they?

      Delete
  4. Love it. You found a treasure. Down by my old home the Amish did doughnuts also, Friday and Saturday mornings it was fun to eat them still warm.LOL a charming little church. I go to a small one and on Saturdays a very large one.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad you enjoyed it, Steve. It was a new sight to me. I like the kind of donuts you described, too. We've been at this church since 2011, and the folks are like family.

      Delete
  5. I guess when you don't have a car, you become inventive and still crank those donuts.Interesting.Yes,the tour of your area is fascinating.Your church looks lovely as well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think you're exactly right, Ruth. I wish you could see the gaudy lighting some of them put on their buggies at night. And, as I mentioned to George, some are installing air horns on their buggies now.

      Delete
  6. Linda, thank you for sharing about the area where you live. Now I will be able to picture in my mind the different places you speak of. You live very close to the Amish then. The picture of your church is very pretty also. xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We do live among Amish, and I love it. In fact, there's an Amish man down the road from us who often comes with his little Bobcat and cleans the driveways along our road after a snowfall. I need to get an updated photo of the church. It's been resided and a stone trim has been added.

      Delete
    2. I would love your setting as well, Linda. There are Amish about 45 minutes from us, so not nearly as close as where you are, but I do enjoy visiting that area.

      Delete
  7. That buggy driver looked like he was having fun! I've never seen anything like that before...too funny!!
    Your church is so pretty!!
    I sure would love to visit your area of the country one day!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. He did look like he was having fun. We've lived among Amish for a long time, and we'd never seen one do that before, either. We'd love to see you if you ever make it up this way.

      Delete
  8. Wow, what a maneuver! :) I've enjoyed your geography explanation, it's interesting to know more about where you live. I admire all the flowers and little bushes around the church. So wonderfully maintained. Do volunteers do that or does the church have a hired service?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad you enjoyed the video, Petra. You never know what you're going to see around here. The church's landscaping is all done and maintained by volunteers. I'll be sure to pass along your praise of their work.

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...