Pages

Friday, October 29, 2010

Hunting Knives and Paper Plates

As I've mentioned before, Doug and I were in our forties when we met and married. During his bachelor years, Doug had been in the habit of using paper plates for his meals at home, avoiding the need for excessive dish washing. It wasn't long after we were married before he convinced me that it just made sense to use paper products. So, for our 23 years of marriage, that has been our practice.

A couple of years ago, a friend gave Doug a hunting knife. A very sharp hunting knife. As he was taking it out of its holster to show me, I was reaching for it and wound up with a nasty cut on my thumb. We headed for a walk-in medical clinic, where a Physician's Assistant stitched it up.

As she was attending to my wound, Doug and I were discussing how we were going to explain my bandaged hand to our friends at church the next day. We didn't want to have to admit to our own carelessness in handling the knife.


Wanting to be helpful, the Physician's Assistant suggested we say that I had cut it while washing dishes.

Doug replied, "We'd have to tell them it was a paper cut."

4 comments:

  1. Too funny.. except for the actual injury. That looks like it was nasty.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hilary-The injury wasn't as bad as it looked. The Physician's Assistant was just taking no chances that the wound would become infected. It was a good conversation piece for a few days.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Linda -- "good conversation piece for a few days"? Ha! It's STILL one of my favorite stories. I love it that you guys had a fairly traumatic event and were still able to looked for the punch line.

    Of course this is the event that probably guarantees that Hubby will be in less of a hurry to give you two a really sharp knife again. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sandra-It's true...we can find a punch line in most anything, can't we? But I still cringe when Doug gets that knife out.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...