Pages

Saturday, September 18, 2010

Photography in an Amish Community

I've mentioned before that I enjoy photography. So often, I see photos in my mind's eye, as I simply observe things around me.

We live in a community where there are a lot of Amish, and Amish present so many unique photo opportunities. That's largely because theirs is a much slower lifestyle (giving one time to ready a camera) and a lifestyle lived more out in the open. Unlike those of us who spend most of our time inside our homes or our offices or our speeding vehicles, Amish are often outside in their fields or in their buggies or simply enjoying outdoor activities with family and friends. In other words, they are not only interesting subjects for the camera, but they are more available to the camera than their English neighbors.

Unfortunately, Amish have an aversion to being photographed. Wanting to respect their wishes but also seeing so many great photo possibilities, I do take photos when I can, but always with an effort to respect their privacy.

This was taken through the windshield of our car


There are many occasions that bring the Amish community together, including church services, weddings, funerals, and auctions. 
 
This was taken as we passed an Amish vehicle

An Amish buggy pulling a small trailer

Not sure what this is...an Amish camper?

Making hay

These draft horses are kept in a pasture bordering a cemetery where many in the neighborhood like to walk. The horses have become accustomed to neighborhood adults and children petting them and bringing them treats.
 
 
 
 


 

Horses were a huge part of my life when I was a young adult, and the love of them will never leave me. Living among Amish gives me many opportunities to just enjoy and appreciate the beautiful animals that are so much a part of their lives.

2 comments:

  1. Great pictures, Linda. I especially like the one of the trotting horses. It makes them look so FAST! Unfortunately when you are following an Amish buggy on the road in your car, it certainly doesn't feel then like they're GOING very fast! But even with that, I love seeing them "in action".

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sandra-Yes, there are some downsides to living among Amish, including, not only the slow-moving vehicles, but also the Amish "exhaust."

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...