Pages

Monday, March 21, 2016

A Modern Castle

There is a magnificent mansion that has recently gone up for sale in Fort Wayne, Indiana. The man who built the mansion about 19 years ago is Dick Freeland, who owned 48 Pizza Huts in Indiana and Ohio, as well as four KFC restaurants.

Dick Freeland set a standard of excellence in his restaurants that I've never seen matched in any Pizza Hut outside of this area. He was a very rich man, and a very generous man, whose philanthropic activities were accomplished without fanfare. 

Mr. Freeland died about two and a half years ago, and the mansion he built has been put on the market. Locally referred to as "The Castle," the mansion has been the source of much curiosity. It's location is very secluded, not visible from outside the property.

With its being listed for sale, however, we have the opportunity to see the magnificence through a virtual tour, posted by the realtor who has listed the property.



Here is the property description on the realtor's website:

"A rare opportunity to own a work of art, this is one of great mansion of the world with over 38,000 GBA SF of museum quality construction. In addition to the main home there is a 8,000 sq. ft. home, a 6,720 sq. ft. stables with guest suite, a 7 acre private lake, 16 fireplaces, 16 bedrooms and 26 baths is for all the buildings on the property. Built by craftsmen equivalent to those employed by the Astors or Vanderbilts, this stone mansion has all the elegance and grandeur of a bygone era. The estate has 10 buildings, elevator to all 3 floors, deluxe stables plus an addition 25 acre world class equestrian property can be purchased for an additional $2,500,000All information is approx. and must be verified"

It's priced at 30 million dollars.


15 comments:

  1. After watching the video I have concluded that I must live there :D Such a stunning place! Lucky person who buys it.

    Mersad
    Mersad Donko Photography

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am sure there must be room for Mersad AND me!!! You did not tell us the price or did i miss that somewhere.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Margaret, I've updated the post to give a property description and price. Yes, I believe there would be room for both you and Mersad.

      Delete
  3. Well, now that you have shown me the price and I have inspected my piggy ban, I will have to see if mersad can comeup with the 15 million! otherwise I would be quite happy to stay in the guest suite. perhaps you coudl come over for tea and cucumber sandwichs!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Looks delightful, but i'm a few mil short. LOL I would enjoy just the stable.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, the real estate listing says there's a guest suite in the stable. I suspect that guest suite would look like a mansion to most of us. :)

      Delete
  5. Wow, Linda, what a mansion. "The Castle" sounds appropriate. :)
    I can't imagine living in such a place... and I can't imagine how much money and care such property demands to be maintained!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It really is an amazing place, Petra. The whole community was in awe as it was being built. Rumors of its size and richness were flying. The couple who built it were really the best sort of people, too. Too often, we are critical of the very rich just because they're rich. But this man had humble beginnings and worked very hard to get where he was. He was also very generous with his money. I've never met anyone who worked for him who had an unkind word to say about him. His presence in the community will be missed. As to the care and upkeep costs of maintaining the property...I can't even imagine!

      Delete
  6. That is certainly a beautiful house,but I would feel lost in a place like that.Not that I could ever afford to purchase something like that.I do enjoy seeing these grand places.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm like you, Ruth. It's fun to see places like this. but I'm realistic enough to know that I couldn't afford to maintain it, let alone buy it.

      Delete
  7. I'm afraid it's a little outside our budget, but it is certainly a magnificent home.

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a truly astonishing house. Not to my taste really, so I don't think I'll buy it, however I will highly recommend it to all of my friends who happen to have 30 million to spend.
    I wonder if Dick ever ate at Pizza Pizza or ordered take out KFC for dinner.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If Dick Freeland ever ate at Pizza Pizza, Shammickite, it was no doubt before he took a part-time job with Pizza Hut in 1967. After that, I doubt that he ever had Pizza anywhere else. But I wouldn't be at all surprised if he's ordered KFC take-out at some time or another. :)

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...