Pages

Wednesday, February 23, 2011

An Invocation and A Look at Aging

A friend sent this video, and I thought it was too good not to share.

Mary Maxwell, a friend of the couple who founded Home Instead Senior Care, was asked to give the invocation at the company’s 2009 Convention. Initially it seemed like a normal prayer, but it soon took a very funny turn. With the timing of a professional comedian, Mary shines a very funny light on the foibles of aging, to the delight of this audience of senior-care experts. Enjoy!




Blessed In Aging
~Esther Mary Walker

Blessed are they who understand
My faltering step and shaking hand
Blessed, who know my ears today
Must strain to hear the things they say.
Blessed are those who seem to know
My eyes are dim and my mind is slow
Blessed are those who look away
When I spilled tea that weary day.
Blessed are they who, with cheery smile
Stopped to chat for a little while
Blessed are they who know the way
To bring back memories of yesterday.
Blessed are those who never say
“You’ve told that story twice today”
Blessed are they who make it known
That I am loved, respected and not alone.
And blessed are they who will ease the days
Of my journey home, in loving ways.

The saying, "Getting old isn't for sissies," is one that I find myself quoting more and more often. It doesn't refer to just the aches and pains that accompany aging, but also to the attitudes of others toward the aging. I remember how it hurt me to see store clerks and such begin to treat my father as a non-person after a mild stroke had aged him considerably. It was as if he suddenly had no value in the eyes of our society.

If we all do our best to treat every person we meet with the respect we'd like others to show us, maybe they will.


7 comments:

  1. This is a great post, Linda. Jim and I both laughed out loud at the video. And I'm glad you reprinted the poem because as she was reading it I was thinking, "I'd like a copy of that." Good job, kid. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Linda, I have heard her before... She is so funny and there's another lady who does this kind of thing which is hilarious.. Can't remember her name though...

    Love the poem also.... I SO relate!!!!
    Hugs,
    Betsy

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sandy - I heard Doug laughing out loud, too, as he watched it. I think there are a couple of minor variations between the written poem and the poem as she read it, but it was pretty close. Glad you and Hubby enjoyed it.

    Betsy - I'm not surprised to learn that this wasn't "her first rodeo." I loved her deadpan expression and her expert comedic timing.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh yes, I've seen this before and she's wonderful.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hilary - I hadn't seen it before yesterday. She's really very funny, without seeming to try.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh my goodness! This is great. My mom has worked for Home Instead for years, she was even named Care Giver of the Year a few years ago! Thanks for sharing. :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Elizabeth - I had never heard of Home Instead before seeing this video. I don't think they are in our area. It speaks volumes about your mother that she received recognition as Care Giver of the Year. She must be a very kind and caring person.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...