Pages

Wednesday, November 23, 2011

Thanksgiving



As is the case with so many of our holidays, the true significance of Thanksgiving is often lost in the trappings of the day. There is more to the day than getting together with friends and family to gorge ourselves on turkey and all the trimmings. It is a day we set aside to remember and express thanks for our many blessings.

As important as it is to remember all the things we have to be thankful for on this Thanksgiving holiday, it's equally important to remember to Whom we owe that thanks.

Giving thanks always for all things unto God and the Father in the name of our Lord Jesus Christ; (Ephesians 5:20)

There is a God Who has created all things, visible and invisible. He gives and sustains life. He loves us enough that He entered our world in the form of a man named Jesus, Who took upon Himself the punishment that each of us deserves, in order to purchase our redemption and give us eternal life.

Or despisest thou the riches of his goodness and forbearance and longsuffering; not knowing that the goodness of God leadeth thee to repentance? (Romans 2:4)

So, topping my list of things I'm thanking God for is the gift of eternal life that He purchased for me. His presence in my life brings joy every day, regardless of circumstances.

Thanks be unto God for his unspeakable gift. (II Corinthians 9:15)

Next, I'm thankful for the husband that God has given me. Doug is the only man I could ever imagine myself married to. He puts up with my less-than-enthusiastic approach to domestic chores like housekeeping and cooking. He takes care of our house and yard and vehicles. He's an avid student of the Bible and takes his relationship with our Lord more seriously than anyone I know. He loves me more than I could ever have imagined anyone doing. He's a little boy at heart and as ornery as all get out sometimes, and I hope that never changes.

As happy as I am to be married, I'm grateful for the 42 years I spent as a single. I'm especially glad for the eight years after coming to know the Lord as my Savior, before entering into marriage. God taught me so much about Himself, myself, His will, and human relationships during those years that I was much better prepared for marriage by the time Doug came along. And God was doing the same thing with Doug during that time. The closeness that we have with each other is in direct correlation to the closeness each of us has with the Savior.

I'm thankful, too, for the wonderful friends I've been blessed to know throughout my life.

There were special friends in school...Connie in elementary school and Bernie in high school. Both live far away now, but we still maintain some contact through Facebook or Christmas cards.

After high school, I met and became fast friends with Mary Ann. It was the closest friendship I'd ever had and lasted 16 years. Unfortunately, when I became a Christian, my enthusiasm over my new-found faith, drove Mary Ann away. We were never able to repair the damage to our relationship.

But God provided a new friend in a dear little Ethopian lady named Etse, who, though tiny in stature, was a spiritual giant, at least in my eyes. She was a wonderful influence during the early years of my walk with Christ and stood with me as my Maid of Honor at our wedding. Etse continues to be a special friend, although we aren't able to spend much time together these days.

Then there's Sandra, who many of you know from her wonderful blog, Add Humor and Faith...Mix Well. We met in the mid-1970s, when we worked for the same company. Over the years, our friendship has grown and continues to grow even today.

There are so many other special friends that I've known through the years. I won't try to name them all. They know who they are. And I'm grateful to God for every one of them and for the enrichment they have brought into my life.

And I would be remiss if I didn't also express thanks for you, my blogging friends. You have added to my life, and I'm grateful.

May you all have a blessed Thanksgiving.

In every thing give thanks: for this is the will of God in Christ Jesus concerning you. (I Thessalonians 5:18)

Praise ye the LORD. O give thanks unto the LORD; for he is good: for his mercy endureth for ever. (Psalm 106:1)

Call unto me, and I will answer thee, and show thee great and mighty things, which thou knowest not. (Jeremiah 33:3)

This I recall to my mind, therefore have I hope. It is of the LORD’S mercies that we are not consumed, because his compassions fail not. They are new every morning: great is thy faithfulness. (Lamentations 3:21-23)



9 comments:

  1. Wishing you and yours a very Happy Thanksgiving, Linda. Hugs to you, my friend.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Happy Thanksgiving to you. This post is a sermon on it's own. I am so thankful to live in country where we can freely express ourselves like this. May God add many blessing to your life.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a wonderful Thankful post, I feel happier having read it.
    Thank you :o)
    ... and Happy Thanksgiving x

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks, Hilary.

    Thanks, Ruth. Freedoms of speech and worship are definitely worth our gratitude.

    Thanks, Deborah. I'm glad you enjoyed it.

    ReplyDelete
  5. So many forget being thankfuland see the holiday as footbal, food and having to listen to family.I made three boxes of food with friends, complete meals for 8 and gave them to those who may have missed out.The excitement can never be replaced.Have a nice holiday.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Steve - I admire your act of generosity on this holiday. It helps to keep things in perspective, doesn't it?

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a heart felt post - I love it!
    Very NICE!
    Thanks and wishing you and Doug the best! He sounds like a really good man. Good job.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I was a child when I got saved and went to Christian schools my whole life, so I feel like that was a huge gift. Eddie as well. But I can imagine the trials of becoming a Christian as an adult. Very nice post today. Have a wonderful Thanksgiving!!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thanks so much, GQ. Doug IS a good man. I have a lot to be thankful for.

    Elizabeth - You and Eddie were blessed to become Christians at a young age. Doug and I were both in our thirties when we were saved. We're so grateful that He didn't give up on us. :)

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...